A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away …
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away … George Lucas announced plans for a live action Star Wars TV show.
Did you know about this? I didn’t! Admittedly, I don’t follow Star Wars news like a hard-core fan. But, I was interested when I spotted this article at Attack of the Blog.
Apparently Star Wars producer, Rick McCallum told Czech Position:
“Basically, it is like ‘The Godfather’; it’s the Empire slowly building up its power base around the galaxy, what happens in Coruscant, which is the major capital, and it’s [about] a group of underground bosses who live there and control drugs, prostitution.”
Hmmmm, sounds …. interesting? I’m having a hard time picturing it, but ok. AotB states this “could make hard-core fans happy”, but Team Luke fans maybe not be thrilled because:
“It takes place between episodes three and four, when Luke Skywalker was growing up as a teenager, but it has nothing to do with Luke,” he said, adding that there is no young Luke Skywalker in any of the episodes.”
They also state that the project is probably still 3-4 years away, so don’t go priming your DVRs just yet.
“The TV series is on hold, but that has nothing to do with the Czech Republic; it has to do with [the episodes being] so ambitious. We have 50 hours of third-draft scripts, but the problem we have is there is a lot of digital animation; we don’t have the technology yet to be able to do them at a price that is safe for television. Since we would be financing them, it would be suicide for us to do this [now]. So we are going to wait three or four years.”
Rumors abound that Lucas has shot 50 hours of footage already. But, according to this EW update on 31 May, Lucas has 50 completed scripts, a Lucasfilm spokesperson says, but he’s “waiting for a different type of technology we can use so it’s economically feasible to shoot the shows.” That makes a little more sense seeing as the hardest of the hard-core fans probably know what Lucas is going to do before he does. 🙂
I have to agree with E!Online’s Peter Gicas’ post “5 Ways to Keep New Star Wars TV Show From Sucking“. JarJar drove me NUTS! Here are his 5 ways:
1. Absolutely No Singing: Yes, we know you’ve essentially disowned the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special that was cruelly unleashed on TV audiences all those years ago, but please, please don’t be tempted to turn to that 1978 debacle now for inspiration simply in light of Glee’s popularity.
2. More Boba Fett: Of course, that special did give geeks their first introduction to the cool, quiet bounty hunter and we’ve certainly been fans of his ever since. So, obviously, feel free to utilize Boba as much as possible. In fact, why not just build the whole freakin’ thing around him?
3. More Han Solo: When the Millennium Falcon captain replied to Princess Leia’s “I love you” with an “I know” just before getting turned into a piece of art for Jabba the Hutt’s lair, we knew right then and there we would always long for more adventures involving our favorite space smuggler.
4. Less Jar Jar: Actually, we take it back. Make that, no Jar Jar.
5. Ease up on the CGI: OK, this last one probably flies right in the face of what you’ve got planned, George. But, remember, there’s a reason why A New Hope, with its now-dated special effects, still holds up even today.
Until then, be on the look out for the Star Wars films to be redone in 3D. Watch George talk on G4TV about why and how they are doing the conversion to 3D and what the hold up is for the TV show.